As the summer break continues, August is another popular month to visit Walt Disney World. With many families already planning their summer vacation, there’s no time like the present to start thinking about what you’ll do on an upcoming trip to Walt Disney World. Today we’re going to discover everything you need to know about an August visit to Orlando and the events that are taking place this year.
Special Events in August 2022 at Walt Disney World
- Epcot International Food & Wine Festival – This is one of the highlights of the Epcot events calendar for both locals and visitors. Keep in mind that the parks do get busy at the weekends with locals, and Epcot is especially popular when the festival is taking place. It’s a great way to enjoy new dining options on a budget though, and you’ll find there are enough new things to explore to keep you coming back throughout the next few months. The Food & Wine Festival runs July 14 – Nov 19, 2022.
- Halloween Parties in the Magic Kingdom – While we also aren’t sure what form the Halloween parties will take this year, August sees the start of the after-hours events in the Magic Kingdom. We hope that 2022 will be the year that Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party returns in its original form. Last year we had the Boo Bash, but no doubt in the next few months, we’ll receive confirmation of which party it will be this year. (UPDATE) Mickey’s Not So Scary Halloween Party is back for 2022!
- Typhoon Lagoon’s H2O After Hours Glow Party – The H20 after hours glow party is back for 2022, and will allow you to experience Typhoon Lagoon starting at 6pm until 11pm. The normal Disney snacks of popcorn and ice cream are included, but don’t start until 8pm officially. You will experience shorter lines for rides, have multiple DJ’s giving the whole park a beat that will keep you dancing as you enjoy the water park.
The Weather at Walt Disney World in August
August is one of the hottest months of the year to visit Walt Disney World. The humidity reaches up to 94% most days, and there’s a 70% chance of rain throughout the month. Expect low temperatures of 74°F and high temperatures of 90°F when visiting in August. We encourage you to take afternoon breaks each day, which you may be forced to do with the rain anyway. It’s a great month to factor in some pool time, but keep in mind that thunderstorms may force you out of the pools and water park attractions from time to time. From mid-August to the middle of October, we see the highest risk of hurricanes in the area, which is something to keep in mind when traveling at this time of the year.
The Pros and Cons of Visiting Walt Disney World in August
August is a popular time of year with families who are looking to finish off the summer break in style. As the month carries on, the crowds lower for the last week or so, making it a popular time to visit.
Pros of an August Disney Trip
- Hot Weather – August offers you the hot Orlando weather that many people are looking for. It’s a popular time of year with international visitors, especially those from the UK and Europe.
- Long Park Hours – With the higher crowd levels, Disney does their best to accommodate this with longer park hours. Keep an eye on the updated hours the week before your trip, as they often extend them further nearer the time.
- Halloween Decorations – While it may seem far too early for Halloween, a trip at the end of August allows you to see the decorations or attend the Halloween party in Magic Kingdom. It’s a good option for anyone who can’t visit in October each year.
Cons of an August Disney Trip
- Crowd Levels – Crowds are high for the first three weeks of the month still, competing with July as one of the busiest months of the year. The good news is that they do drop towards the end of the month, which is a great time for adults to visit once the kids are back in school.
- Hurricane Season – The middle of the month onwards is considered to be a high-risk time for hurricanes. Make sure you are prepared for daily rainstorms, which may disrupt your touring time.
Holidays in August 2022 at Walt Disney World
August is one of the few months that has no holidays to celebrate in the US. For that reason, there aren’t any real fluctuations of crowd levels over a specific weekend, and there aren’t any special events for these.
Operating Hours for August 2022
August is a popular month to visit the parks, especially for the first few weeks. While confirmed park hours haven’t been released yet, we can predict the hours based on current trends and previous years. Keep in mind that when the Magic Kingdom begins to host the Halloween parties, it usually closes early for regular guests on these nights. This can be a poor choice of day for anyone just opting for one day in the Magic Kingdom, as you don’t get as much time to enjoy all of the attractions. Otherwise, it’s business as usual in most of the parks, which have longer hours to welcome the higher crowd levels.
- Magic Kingdom – 9 am to 9 pm, 10 pm or later (take care of early closing times for Halloween parties)
- Epcot – 9 am to 9 pm
- Disney’s Hollywood Studios – 9 am to 9 pm
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom – 8 am to 8 pm
- Water Parks – 10 am to 5 pm each day for both parks
- Disney Springs – 10 am to 11 pm
August is a popular time of the year for anyone looking to enjoy a summer vacation to Orlando. We recommend booking your resort and dining reservations well ahead of time if you are traveling this month. It’s a great time of the year for anyone who enjoys hot weather, but make sure you prepare for rainstorms and the humidity. The last week or so of the month often sees a drop in crowds, which can make for a nice change after the busy summer months. Whenever you visit this month, you’ll find there’s plenty going on to keep you entertained, making for a memorable time for your whole family.