Once the summer break is over, the crowds start to slowly die off at Walt Disney World. While there’s certainly never a quiet time of the year to visit the parks, September is one of the best times for anyone looking to avoid the heaviest crowd levels. With so much going on this month, you’ll find there’s never a shortage of things to see and do, no matter how many times you’ve visited the parks before. Let’s take a look at everything you need to know when planning a September 2022 visit to Walt Disney World.
Special Events in September 2022 at Walt Disney World
- Epcot International Food & Wine Festival –This festival should be in full swing by now, and it’s one of the best months to enjoy everything that’s on offer. Make sure you check out one of the live concerts and enjoy strolling around World Showcase and trying the new food booths.
- Halloween Parties in the Magic Kingdom – The Halloween party dates and the type of party to expect this year have yet to be confirmed. However, you can be sure there will be something going on in the Magic Kingdom this month. This is one of the highlights of the Walt Disney World events calendar for visitors each year who love getting to spend time in the park with lower crowd levels. Enjoy trick or treating, special entertainment offerings, and the chance to ride your favorite attractions.
The Weather at Walt Disney World in September
September is the middle of hurricane season, so expect regular rainstorms and high humidity levels. Expect high temperatures of 89°F and lows of 74°F, so you’ll want to make sure you keep hydrated and take regular breaks in the air conditioning. We usually find there’s a short afternoon shower of rain each day, and rain is predicted for a minimum of 11 days this month. It can be a little disruptive for anyone hoping to spend all day by the pool or at the water parks. Make sure you check out Disney’s hurricane policies as well to offer you peace of mind if you are planning a trip at this time of the year.
The Pros and Cons of Visiting Walt Disney World in September
September is when we finally see a drop in the crowd levels after the summer break. Throughout the month, the crowds are quite steady, but we do expect it to be busier this year than in past years. These are the pros and cons of visiting at this time of the year.
Pros of a September Disney Trip
- High Temperatures – September still offers visitors lovely hot weather, but it can be quite humid for anyone from out of state. It’s a great time to enjoy the water parks with lower crowd levels than in the summer.
- Halloween Parties – If you are visiting in September, we highly recommend booking one of the Magic Kingdom’s Halloween parties. You’ll get to experience the park with lower crowd levels and enjoy the fun decorations at night.
- Lower Crowd Levels – September is historically a quieter time of the year to visit the parks. Expect crowd levels to be lower than they’ve been all summer, offering you a chance to get on some of the most popular attractions with slightly lower wait times.
Cons of a September Disney Trip
- Shorter Park Hours – Park hours are usually reduced slightly this month due to the lower crowd levels. That being said, so far this year, Disney has been very generous with park hours, so you can expect closing times of 7 pm or 8 pm at the earliest.
- Hurricane Season – This is the peak month for hurricanes in Florida and the surrounding area. Keep in mind that Disney does have hurricane policies in place which can help you out should you need to cancel a trip.
Holidays in September 2022 at Walt Disney World
- Labor Day – Labor Day falls on Monday, September 5th this year. While there aren’t usually any special events for this day or weekend, you will notice that this is the final busier weekend of the summer months. Make sure you book your hotel and dining reservations well in advance for this weekend, as both locals and visitors are hoping to celebrate the end of summer in style.
Operating Hours for September 2022
September is the first month in a while that you’ll see a small drop in the opening hours of the parks. Having said that, we’ve noticed that park hours are much longer already in 2022, and Disney often increases them closer to the time based on bookings and crowd levels. The Magic Kingdom closes early a lot this month, so keep this in mind when choosing a day to visit this park. You don’t want to miss out on a few hours of touring time if you are only visiting for one day. If you are staying on-site at Disney, make the most of the early morning entry perk, which can help you to get a couple of rides in before the crowds grow.
- Magic Kingdom – 9 am to 9 pm (be aware of early closing times for Halloween parties on many nights)
- Epcot – 9 am to 9 pm
- Disney’s Hollywood Studios – 9 am to 9 pm
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom – 8 am to 8 pm
- Water Parks – 10 am to 5 pm each day for both water parks (usually only 1 is open)
- Disney Springs – 10 am to 11 pm
What to wear in September at Disney World
As we mentioned in the weather section of this piece, it’s going to be warm in September. So you will want to lighter clothing, no winter jackets, you’re in Florida! It is tempting to pack only shorts for your trip, and if you’re only going for 3 or fewer nights, I think you could get away with just packing shorts. Any more nights than that, and you might want to pack 1 or 2 pair of lightweight pants, particularly if you are going to enjoy a signature restaurant.
Shirt wise, ladies please do not pack only thing spaghetti straps. Enjoy tanning those shoulders, and wear them with regularly applied sunscreen, but give your skin a break and back those matching family t-shirts you’ve been dying to wear and take photos in!
Don’t forget your bathing suit! One of the perks of going in September is that’s the hot enough for perfect pool weather. In the afternoons be aware it can storm, but usually it’s not for long. Be sure your bathing suit is family friendly, and comfortable.
What to pack if your going to Disney World in September
Do not forget to pack and apply sun screen often if you’re going to be at Disney World. We would recommend a bare minimum of SPF 30 for your sunscreen protection. If you forget your sunscreen, most resorts will have a store that will have sundries you can purchase. You also have the option to get items delivered from the grocery store or Walmart directly to your hotel. I’ll link below the information you need when doing so.
Don’t forget to pack your favorite pair of sunglasses, and hat as well. Sun screen is a necessity, but what about your scalp and your eyes? Do not forget them, and trust me when I say having a sun burnt scalp trying to apply aloe to, it’s not fun to do at night – and can ruin the rest of your trip. So my recommendations is bring a hat, and sunglasses that offer polarization.
I’m a fan of Shady Ray sunglasses, as they donate 1 meal with each order, they are quality glasses at reasonable prices, and even will replace them if you lose them when you don’t remember to take them off during Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster. That might have happened once or twice to me, and the customer service replacements are quick, and painless.
September is a great time of year for anyone who doesn’t have children of school age. You’ll find that crowd levels are much lower than in the summer months, but you still get the hot weather associated with this time of the year. Keep an eye on the weather forecast in the lead-up to your trip, as hurricanes are more common during September. With a little forward planning, you can make the most of a trip during this month and enjoy all of the special events and activities that Disney has to offer.