May is one of the best times of year for anyone looking to plan a trip to Walt Disney World. You’ll enjoy near-perfect weather, lower crowds, and the chance to plan a little bit less for your trip. Today we’re going to discover what you can expect from a trip in May 2023. If you haven’t booked your vacation for May yet, we highly recommend looking at resort and dining reservations as soon as possible. The more you can plan in advance for your upcoming trip, the more you’ll get out of your vacation to Walt Disney World this year.
Special Events in May 2023 at Walt Disney World
- Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival – At this point, the Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival has been in full bloom for the past two months. If you are visiting the parks for the first time this year, you’ll love seeing Epcot decorated for this festival. It’s one of the most beautiful times of the year to visit the parks, and you’ll enjoy dining around the world from the Outdoor Kitchens. Be sure to read up on our Flower and Garden Festival Guide – so you know how to plan your trip.
- Star Wars Day – While the events for this occasion vary from year to year, it’s a fun time to celebrate May the 4th in Disney’s Hollywood Studios. Especially with the recent addition of Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge, we expect crowd levels to be higher on this day with Star Wars fans from around the world.
The Weather at Walt Disney World in May
Without a doubt, May is one of the best times of the year to visit Orlando. You’ll enjoy great weather most days, with highs of up to 85-90 degrees. The weather doesn’t typically drop below 64 degrees, so even night-time in the park doesn’t get too cold. It’s a great time to upgrade your stay to a resort with a great swimming pool, such as the Yacht & Beach Club, and there are only about seven days of rain in the month. The only thing to be aware of at this time of the year are the pesky love bugs. These attack visitors everywhere and can be a nuisance when you are trying to relax at the pool.
The Pros and Cons of Visiting Walt Disney World in May
While May is generally a great month to visit the parks, there are of course pros and cons to this time of the year. Let’s take a look at what you can expect from your upcoming May Disney vacation.
Pros of a May Disney Trip
- Great Weather –May’s weather is some of the best of the whole year in Orlando. You’ll experience minimal rain, high temperatures, and lower humidity than in the upcoming summer months.
- International Flower & Garden Festival – As this festival has become longer each year, you can enjoy visiting Epcot at any time in May to take part in the festivities.
- Less Planning Needed – Compared to other times of the year, you can go with the flow a little more on a May trip. You won’t have to worry quite as much about securing your park and dining reservations, although we still recommend booking as far ahead as possible. If you’re considering using Genie+, check out our guide on how to make your trip even better.
- Lower Crowd Levels – With very few holidays or special events in May, the crowd levels are some of the lowest of the whole year. You’ll find that this makes touring the parks easier. There are also some great deals on hotels at this time, making a trip to Disney a little more affordable. If you’re looking to save even more money on your next Disney Vacation, consider Rope Drop at Hollywood Studios to get on your must do rides.
Cons of a May Disney Trip
- Love Bugs – If you’ve never visited at this time of the year before, you’ll find the love bugs to be particularly annoying. Their season lasts about four weeks but usually falls over a good amount of May.
Holidays in May 2023 at Walt Disney World
- Mother’s Day –Mother’s Day in the US falls on May 14th, 2023. While this day doesn’t necessarily increase out-of-town visitors, you’ll find many locals head to the parks or restaurants to celebrate with their extended family. Some of the restaurants put on special menus for this day, so it’s well worth booking your advance dining reservations ahead of time to avoid disappointment.
- Memorial Day Weekend – Memorial Day Weekend takes place from May 27th to May 30th, 2023. While May is generally a great month for lower crowds, this would be the one exception. By this time, more families are starting to head down to Orlando for a summer break, and this is officially the start of the busy summer season. Try to avoid traveling this weekend if you can, as you’ll find reservations are much harder to come by.
Operating Hours for May 2023
As May is one of the quieter months of the year, don’t expect the park hours to be too long. Disney has yet to officially post their hours for the month, but this is a rough idea of what you can expect based on past trends. As we get to the end of the month, you’ll find that these soon increase, ready for the heavier summer crowds. Keep in mind that Disney keeps adjusting their park hours for the month a few weeks ahead of time, so make sure you check back to the Disney site just before your visit to confirm opening hours.
- Magic Kingdom – 9 am to 9 pm
- Epcot – 10 am to 9 pm
- Disney’s Hollywood Studios – 9 am to 9 pm
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom – 9 am to 7 pm
- Water Parks – Typhoon Lagoon is open daily from 10 am to 5 pm. Blizzard Beach’s reopening date has yet to be confirmed but is likely to reopen in time for the summer crowds.
- Disney Springs – 10 am to 11 pm
May is one of our favorite times of the year to visit Walt Disney World. Adults will love visiting before the heavy summer crowds, and there are fewer kids and families in the parks. As with visiting Disney at any time of the year, we still recommend you book your resort and dining ahead of time. This will help you to make the most of your time here and enjoy everything that Disney has to offer for visitors in 2023.
What to pack if your going to Disney World in May
Do not forget to pack and apply sun screen often if you’re going to be at Disney World. We would recommend a bare minimum of SPF 30 for your sunscreen protection. You can see get sun burnt any part of the year in Florida, it is one reason why it’s called the Land of Endless Summer. If you forget your sunscreen, most resorts will have a store that will have sundries you can purchase. You also have the option to get items delivered from the grocery store or Walmart directly to your hotel. I’ll link below the information you need when doing so.
Don’t forget to pack your favorite pair of sunglasses, and hat as well. Sun screen is a necessity, but what about your scalp and your eyes? Do not forget them, and trust me when I say having a sun burnt scalp trying to apply aloe to, it’s not fun to do at night – and can ruin the rest of your trip. So my recommendations is bring a hat, and sunglasses that offer polarization.
I’m a fan of Shady Ray sunglasses, as they donate 1 meal with each order, they are quality glasses at reasonable prices, and even will replace them if you lose them when you don’t remember to take them off during Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster. That might have happened once or twice to me, and the customer service replacements are quick, and painless. (I’m not sponsored by Shady Rays, just really like their product)
May is one of the most beautiful times of the year to visit Walt Disney World. Between Star Wars Day and the Epcot International Flower and Garden Festival, there’s no shortage of things to do even if you’ve visited dozens of times before. Make sure you book your hotel reservations now, as we expect May 2023 to be particularly popular. People are looking to make up for the past few years, and it’s a great time of year for both the weather and events in the parks for visitors of all ages.