March is one of the best times of the year to visit Walt Disney World. The weather in Orlando is starting to warm up once again, and for many families, it’s the perfect destination for a spring break trip. Let’s take a look at what Disney has in store for anyone who’s booked a March 2023 trip.
Special Events in March 2023 at Walt Disney World
- Epcot International Flower & Garden Festival – This festival is one of the highlights of the Epcot event calendar and welcomes more than 30 million flowers to the park each year. You’ll find there’s plenty for kids and adults alike to enjoy, and special concerts and events take place throughout the month. The event kicks off this year on March 2nd and carries on through to July 4th.
Read Also: What to know for EPCOT’s Flower & Garden Festival
- Opening of Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser – March 1st is a huge day for Star Wars fans in Walt Disney World. The much-anticipated Star Wars: Galactic Starcruiser opens on this date and offers a two-night immersive experience for Star Wars fanatics from around the world.
How is the Weather at Walt Disney World in March?
March is one of our favorite times of the year to visit Orlando. The cooler winter weather is now gone, and Orlando starts to feel more tropical once again. If you are looking to escape the colder weather at home and enjoy swimming at the water parks, you’ll be in luck during most of March. The average high temperature is 78°F, and there’s an average low of 58°F. The first week or two are a little cooler, but you’ll find as the month goes on, it’s perfect for sunbathing and swimming. The great thing about March is that you won’t experience the high humidity of the rest of the year. Maybe pack a sweater for late nights in the park, but don’t worry too much about rain either in March.
The Pros and Cons of Visiting Walt Disney World in March
Every month in Orlando has its advantages and disadvantages. Let’s take a look at what you can expect for your March 2023 trip to Walt Disney World.
Pros of a March Disney Trip
- Great Weather –March is one of the best times of the year for an Orlando trip. It’s not too hot to walk around the parks all day, but still warm enough to enjoy swimming and the water parks.
- International Flower & Garden Festival – Don’t miss exploring World Showcase and all of the booths at this EPCOT festival. There’s so much to see and do, and kids will love the beautiful topiaries on display just as much as adults.
- Longer Park Hours – After the relatively short park hours in February, you’ll find these are much improved in March. However, keep in mind this is a strategy that’s in place to accommodate the higher crowds.
Cons of a March Disney Trip
- Crowd Levels During Spring Break – For many families, this is one of the only times of the year they can get together and enjoy a trip to Walt Disney World. Throughout March and April, you’ll find it’s much busier than the past two months. Locals are also on spring break, so expect longer wait times for rides.
- Lower Resort Availability – If you are reading this today and still haven’t booked your Walt Disney World resort for a March trip, it’s time to make that booking. You’ll find resorts in every category book up very quickly during March. Make sure you book in advance as much as possible to secure your reservations.
- Dining Availability – Similar to resorts, you’ll find that dining availability goes extremely quickly in March. Book as far in advance as possible, preferably at the 60-day mark for your trip. You don’t want to be left relying on just quick service meals during a week in the park, especially during a more crowded time of the year.
Holidays in March 2023 at Walt Disney World
- St. Patrick’s Day – On March 17th, head to Raglan Road and Disney Springs for their annual St. Patrick’s Day celebration. These events often run much longer than just the day itself, but you’ll find special food and drink offerings to get you in the festive mood.
- Spring Break –While not technically a holiday, it’s important to keep in mind that a March visit will likely coincide with spring break. You’ll find that there are often extra restaurants open during this time and longer park hours to accommodate the higher crowd levels.
Operating Hours for March 2023
As we’ve shared so far, the parks are much busier in March during spring break. For that reason, Disney extends the park hours throughout the month. We recommend getting to the parks as early as possible, especially if you are staying on-site and can enjoy the 30 minutes early entry. This would be a good month to look into Genie+ and Lightning Lane passes, which will help to avoid the disappointment of missing out on some of the most popular attractions.
- Magic Kingdom – 9 am to 8 pm or 9 pm
- Epcot – 10 am to 9 pm
- Disney’s Hollywood Studios – 9 am to 9 pm
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom – 9 am to 7 pm
- Water Parks – Blizzard Beach reopening date is yet to be confirmed. Typhoon Lagoon is open daily from 10 am to 5 pm (weather permitting).
- Disney Springs – 10 am to 11 pm
March is one of the best times of the year to visit Walt Disney World. If you have a vacation booked this year in March, make sure you plan in advance to avoid disappointment with your resort booking and restaurant reservations. We encourage you to pack a little patience during your trip, as it can get quite crowded in the parks during spring break. However, you’ll find that the weather is ideal at this time of the year for taking a break at your resort each afternoon and enjoying the swimming pools and great facilities the Disney resorts are known for. Whatever you do during your March 2023 trip, we know you’ll have a fantastic time immersing yourself in the Disney magic.
What to wear in March at Disney World
As we mentioned in the weather section of this piece, it’s going to be warm in March. So you will want to medium to lighter clothing, still no winter jackets, you’re in Florida! It is tempting to pack only shorts for your trip, and if you’re only going for 3 or fewer nights, I think you could get away with just packing shorts. Any more nights than that, and you might want to pack 1 or 2 pair of lightweight pants, particularly if you are going to enjoy a signature restaurant.
Shirt wise, we’d recommend t-shirts, and tank tops. Enjoy tanning those shoulders, and wear them with regularly applied sunscreen, but give your skin a break and back those matching Disney family t-shirts you’ve been dying to wear and take photos in!
Don’t forget your bathing suit! It might be on the cooler side for hitting the pools, but know the pools at Disney World Resorts are heated. You can hit the pools year round (with a few exceptional days during Winter think January).
What to pack if your going to Disney World in March
Do not forget to pack and apply sun screen often if you’re going to be at Disney World. We would recommend a bare minimum of SPF 30 for your sunscreen protection. You can see get sun burnt any part of the year in Florida, it is one reason why it’s called the Land of Endless Summer. If you forget your sunscreen, most resorts will have a store that will have sundries you can purchase. You also have the option to get items delivered from the grocery store or Walmart directly to your hotel. I’ll link below the information you need when doing so.
Read Also: Grocery Delivery at Disney World; How to get groceries delivered
Don’t forget to pack your favorite pair of sunglasses, and hat as well. Sun screen is a necessity, but what about your scalp and your eyes? Do not forget them, and trust me when I say having a sun burnt scalp trying to apply aloe to, it’s not fun to do at night – and can ruin the rest of your trip. So my recommendations is bring a hat, and sunglasses that offer polarization.
I’m a fan of Shady Ray sunglasses, as they donate 1 meal with each order, they are quality glasses at reasonable prices, and even will replace them if you lose them when you don’t remember to take them off during Rock ‘n’ Roller Coaster. That might have happened once or twice to me, and the customer service replacements are quick, and painless.
Read Also: How Fast Is Rock ‘n’ Roller In Disney World?
March is a great month of the year to visit Walt Disney World. March is Disney World is right before Easter and the EPCOT International Flower & Garden Festival, there’s no shortage of things to do even if you’ve visited dozens of times before. Make sure you book your hotel reservations now, as we expect March 2023 to be particularly popular.