Everything You Need to Know About Tow Mater
While everyone knows about the famous main character Lightning McQueen, it is not a stretch to say that Tow Mater might be the more beloved character by fans around the world. He’s the funny sidekick of Lightning McQueen who has been making audiences laugh at his silly one-liners and endearing naivety since 2006.
Tow Mater is a grumpy old race car that you can’t help but love as one of the funniest characters on Cars. Because he’s so well-loved, I put together a guide of everything you may wonder about Mater, as well as his top 50 best quotes.
Who Is Tow Mater?
Tow Mater is the best friend of race car Lightning McQueen. We are introduced to him in the first Pixar Cars film when McQueen ends up in Radiator Springs. Mater introduces McQueen to the joys of tractor tipping. While McQueen is slow to warm up to him, they become best friends by the film’s end and stick together throughout the entire franchise.
Who Voices Tow Mater in the Cars Movies?
Stand-up Comedian Larry the Cable Guy has voiced Tow Mater since the first Cars movie came out in 2006. Since then, he has voiced Mater in all three major Cars films, as well as the videogames and television series inspired by the original films.
Why Is His Name Tow Mater?
While it may seem obvious that Tow Mater is named after a tow truck, there is actually more to his name than that.
Back when the film was in the early stages, John Lasseter was at a NASCAR race to do research about the culture and atmosphere of the car racing world. While there, he met a man named Douglas Keever, but when Keever introduced himself, he used his nickname, Mater. Lasseter felt that Keever embodied what it meant to be a fan of NASCAR, so when it came down to naming the lovable best friend of Lightning McQueen, he called up Keever and asked if they could use his nickname. He of course said yes, and the rest is history!
Is his Name Mater or Tow Mater?
His full name is Sir Tow Mater, but he goes by simply Mater throughout the films.
What Car is Tow Mater in Real Life?
Tow Mater is a tow truck inspired by the 1955-57 Chevrolet Task Force Tow truck.
Who is Tow Mater’s Girlfriend?
In Cars 2, Mater meets Holley Shiftwell, a magenta 2008 MT-R Mark II. Mater was quickly smitten with her. When she asks him to rendezvous with her, he misunderstands and believes she is asking him on a date. Fortunately for our lovable tow truck, by the end of the film, he and Holley are boyfriend and girlfriend.
In Cars 3, she does not appear, but Mater tells his friends that his relationship with Holley is still going strong.
What is Tow Mater’s Catchphrase?
Mater’s personality is slightly inspired by his voice actor, Larry the Cable Guy. Because of this, they share the catchphrase, “Git-R-Done!”
Mater also often says, “Shoot” when disappointed or upset. My favorite catchphrase from Mater is “If I’m Lyin’ I’m Cryin”.
What Does Tow Mater Call His Dents?
When Holley tries to fix his dents, Mater stops her. He tells her that his dents are valuable because he earned all of them with his best friend, Lightning McQueen, and he wants to remember those memories and dents forever.
Can You Meet Tow Mater at Disney World?
The Best Tow Mater Quotes
Tow Mater Movie Quotes From Cars 1
- “My name’s Mater. Like tuh-mater, but without the tuh.”
- “He did WHAT in his cup!?”
- “Wreck? Shoot! I’m the world’s best backwards driver! Just watch this right here, lover boy.”
- “McQueen and Sally, parked beneath the tree, K-I-S-S- uh…somethin’ somethin’-T!”
- “Oh, man, you get to work with Bessie! I’d give my left two lugnuts for somethin’ like that!”
- “Ain’t no need to watch where I’m goin’; just need to know where I’ve been.”
- “Hey, I know this may be a bad time right now, but you owe me $32,000 in legal fees.”
- “I’m happier ‘n a tornado in a trailer park!”
- LightningMcQueen: “I’m a precision instrument of speed and aerodynamics.”
Mater: “You hurt your what?”
- “Look at this! It’s my hood! It’s my hood! I ain’t seen this thing in twenty years!”
- “Where are ya? Shoot! You’re in Radiator Springs, the cutest little town in Carburetor County.”
- “I tell you what, buddy, it just don’t get better than this.”
- “You know, I once knew this girl Doreen. Good-looking girl. Looked just like a Jaguar, only she was a truck! Y’know, I used to crash into her just so I could spoke to her.”
- “She’s the town attorney – and my fiancée. I’m just kiddin’. She jus’ likes me for my body.”
- “Hey, listen, listen! If anybody asks you, we was out smashin’ mailboxes, OK?”
- “I wasn’t tractor-tippin’!”
- [in a scared voice as a spotlight hits Lightning] “It’s the Ghostlight!”
- “Ah, that ain’t nothin’. I’ll clean it for ya.”
- “Nah, not me, Flo. I’m on one of them there special diets. I am a precisional instrument of speed and aromatics.”
- “Hey, Miss Sally. May I have this cruise?”
- Mater: “I knew it! I knowed I made a good choice!”
LightningMcQueen: “In what?”
Mater: “My best friend.”
- “Goodbye! Okay, I’m good.”
- “Well, it fits perfectly. How do I look?”
- “Aw, dang.”
Tow Mater Cars Quotes from Cars 2
- “Now that’s a scoop of ice cream.”
- “I call this move ‘what I accidentally did to my friend Luigi.'”
- FinnMcMissile: “I never properly introduced myself. Finn McMissile, British Intelligence.
Mater: “Tow Mater, average intelligence.”
- “I’ll have some of that there pistachio ice cream.”
- “Do not try the free pistachio ice cream! It done turn!”
- “Listen, fellas… I know what you’re goin’ through. Many have been laughin’ and makin’ fun of me my whole life. But becoming rich and powerful beyond your wildest dreams ain’t gonna make ya feel better.”
- “Miss Sally is gonna flip when she sees this!”
- “Wow. I can’t believe they renamed the Piston Cup after our very own Doc Hudson.”
- “I sure wish he’d hurry up and get back ’cause we got a whole summer’s worth of best friend fun to make up for.”
- “You’re right. She’s a HUGE fan! She goes on and on about your open wheels here.”
Tow Mater Famous Quotes From Cars 3
- “My cup holder’s happy, my tank is full. My engine’s running like a Brahma bull. My bumpers are polished and talk about luck. I just got a date with an ice cream truck…Huh?” [his smartphone rings] “Huh? …Aah!” [knocks over pile of tires] Shoot. “Hey, McQueen, you still there? McQueen? Ugh. Technology!”
- “You know what I’d do? …I don’t know. I got nothin.”
- “You are not a nice guy! But you sure do make a quality mud flap at a reasonable price.”
- “Hey, everybody, listen up. My best friend, Lightning McQueen, needs quiet. Perfect quiet!”
- “Go McQueen!”
- “You used to say that all the time.”
- “Well, I didn’t want you to be lonely.”
- “Hey, did it work, Miss Sally? Did you set him straight with your lawyerly powers of persuasion?”
- “Oh, I’ll get ’em on the horn. Get it? On the horn?”
- “Oops. Hold on. Gotta sneeze. Dad-gum. I lost it.”
- “Shoot, buddy, it’ll work out. Just tell me what the problem is… and I’ll stay right here with you until we fix it.”
- “Everybody was taught by somebody, right? Take my cousin Doyle. He taught me how to sing and whistle at the same time. He was very musical that way.”
- “You done it!”
- “Pardon me. ‘Scuse me. Best friend comin’ through.”
- “I got my fishing flaps, I got my church flaps, got my going out and eating flaps.”
If you didn’t before, hopefully now you understand what makes Mater so love-able and endearing. What’s your favorite Mater quote?