Although it was released nearly two decades ago, The Incredibles is still a fan-favorite Pixar movie. One of its most lovable characters is the funny and witty fashion designer, Edna Mode.
Edna’s character is an old and close friend of the Parr family, specifically Bob and Bob’s wife Helen Parr. During the glory days of superheroes, she designed super-suits for both of them, as well as their superhero friends such as Frozone and Gazerbeam.
She is known for hating capes and always having a sarcastic or witty comeback. She’s as intelligent as she is sassy, making her a truly unforgettable Pixar character.
Even though we do not see her fighting crime or saving the day, Edna is just as important as Mr. Incredible and Elastigirl. Edna designs original custom-made outfits for the entire family including jack-jack. Because of her, the entire family can wear superhero costumes that are indestructible while also complementing their powers.
A rip of his super-suit sends Mr. Incredible to Edna’s mansion to repair the tears of the old suit. Edna came out of a long retirement just to make sure that Mr. Incredible had a new design to keep him both safe and looking fashionable while fighting Syndrome.
Edna avoids sugarcoating the truth and always tells Mr. Incredible and Elastigirl exactly what they need to hear. Between her excellent advice and her wonderful sense of fashion, Edna Mode is truly a character that we should all look up to.
Photo by Bayley Clark for MagicalGuides.com
Her signature big glasses, short stature, and cigarette holder have made her beloved by fans, whether they are meeting her in the theme parks or quoting her many iconic lines. To help remind you of what makes Edna Mode such an icon, I’ve put together some of her best lines from the films The Incredibles and the sequel,The Incredibles 2.
Most Iconic Edna Mode Quotes
- “I never look back, darling! It distracts from the now.”
- “No capes!”
- “You are Elastigirl! My God…Pull-yourself-together! “What will you do?” Is this a question? You will show him you remember that he is Mr. Incredible, and you will remind him who you are. Well, you know where he is. Go, confront the problem. Fight! Win!”
- “I cut it a little roomy for the free movement, the fabric is comfortable for sensitive skin…And it can also withstand a temperature of over 1000 degrees. Completely bulletproof…and machine washable, darling. That’s a new feature.”
- “It will be bold! Dramatic! Heroic!”
- “You need a new suit, that much is certain.”
- “Yes, I know, dahling.”
Funny Edna Mode Quotes
- “Milan, darling. Milan. Supermodels. Heh! Nothing super about them… spoiled, stupid little stick figures with poofy lips who think only about themselves. Feh! I used to design for gods!”
- “Fine. I will also fix the hobo suit.”
- “Well, he’ll look fabulous anyway.”
- “This is a horrible suit, darling. You can’t be seen in this. I won’t allow it. Fifteen years ago, maybe, but now? Feh!”
- “Yes, yes, marvelous suit, darling, much better than those horrible pajamas he used to wear.”
- “Simple, elegant, yet bold. You will die.”
- “Men at Robert’s age are often unstable… prone to weakness.”
More Edna Mode Quotes from The Incredibles
- “Your boy’s suit I designed to withstand enormous friction without heating up or wearing out, a useful feature. Your daughter’s suit was tricky, but I finally created a sturdy material that can disappear completely as she does. Your suit can stretch as far as you can without injuring yourself, and still retain its shape. Virtually indestructible, yet it breathes like Egyptian cotton.”
- “I didn’t know the baby’s powers so I covered the basics.”
- “Do you remember Thunderhead? Tall, storm powers? Nice man, good with kids. November 15th of ’58! All was well, another day saved, when… his cape snagged on a missile fin!”
- “Stratogale! April 23rd, ’57! Cape caught in a jet turbine!”
- “Metaman, express elevator! Dynaguy, snagged on takeoff! Splashdown, sucked into a vortex! No capes!”
- “My God, you’ve gotten fat.”
- “Yes, words are useless! Gobble-gobble-gobble-gobble-gobble! Too much of it, darling, too much! That is why I show you my work! That is why you are here!”
- “You can’t! It’s impossible! I’m far too busy, so ask me now before I can become sane.”
- “You push too hard, darling! But I accept!”
- “Well, I am sure I don’t know, darling. Luck favors the prepared.”
- “Go check the electric fence or something!”
- “Edna Mode…and guest.”
- Bob: “You know I’m retired from hero work.”
Edna: “As am I, Robert, yet here we are.”
- “You come in one hour darling, I insist, okay? Okay, bye-bye.”
Edna Mode Quotes from The Incredibles 2
- “Done properly, parenting is a heroic act… done properly.”
- “It means fire, Robert, for which the suit has countermeasures. I suggest you extinguish the baby’s flames before he trips the sprinkler system.”
- “Any solution involving cookies will inevitably result in the demon baby.”
- “Leave him? Here? I am not a baby person, Robert! I am not cut out for baby’s facilities! I am an artist, I don’t have time for any of this to…today.”
- “Fascinating! Are-Are you seeing this Robert?”
- “Of course, you can leave the baby overnight. I’m sure filling in for Helen is challenging, and you are very tired, and the other children need you and miss you, and you must go to them. Auntie Edna will take care of everything, so drive safely and goodbye. I enjoy our visits.”
- “Oh, pish-posh, darling. Your bill will be covered by my fee for being Mr. Incredible, Elastigirl, and Frozone’s exclusive designer throughout the known universe and until the end of time. But babysitting this one, I do for free, darling.”
- “He is bright and I am stimulating. We deserve each other.”
- “Your child is a polymorph. Like all babies, he has enormous potential. It is not unknown for Supers to have more than one power when young but this little one has many.”
- “I understand your lack of sleep is confusing you, Robert. Babies can be anything, and your child is no exception. Shows unlimited potential, Robert. That’s why I worked in a creative fever. Auntie E has stayed up all night, making sure you look fabulous in your uniform.”
- “The fire retardant is blackberry-lavender, darling. Effective, edible, and delicious.”
- “I often work to music and I noticed the baby responds to it as well. Specifically, Mozart.”
- “Although, I have doubtlessly exceeded your expectations for a single night’s work the suit and device contain a few more features we need to discuss.”
- “Galbaki? Elastigirl’s super suit…is by Galbaki? EXPLAIN YOURSELF!”
- “Oh, my God. You’re worse than I thought.”
- “But you do not come to me for eggs and batteries, Robert. I design hero-wear and Elastigirl must have a new suit.”
- “You also wish a new suit for the baby? I would hardly classify this as an emergency.”
Edna Mode Quotes from Disney California Adventure’s Incredicoaster
In 2018, Disney’s California Adventure re-themed their California Screamin’ coaster into an Incredibles-themed ride, featuring Edna Mode and the Incredibles superheroes. These quotes are some of her most memorable moments from the Incredicoaster ride.
- “No problem, darling.”
- “…And the baby is gone.”
- “The baby has teleported to the next tunnel!”
- “Ha, the little one returns!”
- “You are tremendous, darling. You make your Auntie Edna so proud.”
Edna Mode FAQ
Who plays Edna Mode in Pixar’s Incredibles?
Edna Mode is voiced by Brad Bird. He is also the one who created her character, as he is the writer and director of Incredibles. If you are looking for cameos, Brad Bird does them as Edna and his character from Ratatouille.
Multiple women auditioned for the voice role, but none could get the accent just right. Eventually, actress Lily Tomlin told Bird that he would be the best person for the role.
Who was Edna Mode based on?
While Edna is a fictional character, it was rumored that she was based on costume designer Edith Head. Like Edna Mode, Head has black blunt bangs and large glasses.
She won multiple Academy Awards for costume design, so it would make sense that the superhero costume designer would be based after her.
Another possible inspiration for Edna was Anna Wintour, the editor-in-chief of Vogue. Linda Hunt and Iris Apfel also share physical similarities to the animated character.
Despite the similarities to these women, Brad Bird publicly denied on Twitter that Edna was inspired by Edith Head. Instead, he said that she was meant to be similar to another fictional character, Q. Q is a character from the James Bond films who designs gadgets to help Bond, similar to the way Edna designs outfits to help the supers be successful.
Does Edna Mode have a superpower?
Edna Mode does not have any superpowers other than being a legendary designer. Despite her lack of superpowers, she is still an important asset to the incredible superheroes of this franchise.
What is Edna Mode’s ethnicity?
Edna is half-Japanese and half-German. Brad Bird said he felt that both these countries have made big impacts with both fashion and technology, just like Edna with the Parr family and other superheroes.
What is Edna Mode’s Catchphrase?
The most common phrases heard from Edna are “dahling” and “no capes!” though she does not have an actual catchphrase.
Why does Edna Mode hate capes?
Some of the world’s favorite superheroes wear capes, yet Edna is famously against them for safety reasons. In the first movie, she makes a valid point about the danger of superheroes in capes.
She points out to Mr. Incredible that capes are dangerous and gives him several examples of superheroes who were in cape-related accidents.
This surprisingly dark scene from the movie perfectly conveys why Edna is so against incorporating any capes into her designs. Even though they may look cool and fashionable, Edna knows that safety should come above everything else.
Is Violet Edna Mode’s daughter?
There have been rumors and conspiracy theories that Violet Parr is Edna Mode’s daughter. This is because she has dark hair like Edna, while the other members of the Parr family have light hair and features.
Violet’s nose is also similar in shape to Edna’s. When placed side-by-side, the resemblance between Violet and Edna is worth buying into this theory.
In the first film, Edna says she is coming out of a 15-year retirement. Since Violet is said to be 14 in this movie, it could be possible that Edna retired due to her pregnancy.
When she realized her daughter had superhero abilities, she allowed a family of superheroes to adopt her knowing they would be able to protect her.
There is no confirmation of this in any of the films, so for now, it is nothing more than something fun to speculate on. Maybe one day we can get The Incredibles 3 where we learn more about the possible relationship between Violet and Edna Mode.
How old Is Edna Mode in the movies?
There is no mention of Edna Mode’s age during the movies, but she has been designing costumes for superheroes since the “glory days.”
When Mr. Incredible asks her for a new suit, she is coming out of a 15-year retirement. Based on this, it is likely that she is anywhere between 40-60 years old.
How tall is Edna Mode?
Edna is about 4’3″, but what she lacks in height, she makes up for in confidence and attitude!
Can I Meet Edna Mode in the Disney Theme Parks?
Photo by Bayley Clark for MagicalGuides.com
Edna is a fairly rare character to meet in the parks, but she can sometimes be found in Disney’s California Adventure in Anaheim, California. On the East Coast, it is possible to meet her in Hollywood Studios along Hollywood Blvd.
Like any characters in the parks, you can use the Disney parks apps to find out when and where Edna Mode might make an appearance.
A Tiny But Mighty Hero
Even though she is not flying around and saving the world, Edna Mode and her sewing machine are a crucial part of the Parr family. There’s a reason she refers to herself as Auntie Edna, after all!
She is the reason that some of our favorite Pixar superheroes look so good while fighting crime, so I hope you enjoyed some of her best and funniest quotes.